Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Two Weeks in DC: Wk2 National Sculpture Garden and Museum of Natural History

Dave: With only one full week left before returning to Army life, we decided to take advantage of a couple more sights together. Kristine had asked to go to the National Sculpture Garden on the Mall previously, and I not really wanting to go, always found a better option.  This time it didn't matter, I just wanted to spend some time outside with my wonderful wife.  So we went.

There were signs next to all the sculptures, but I can't remember what they had written.     

What is an ice skating rink doing in the middle of downtown DC?

Its a pyramid, I think.

Doing a little streching before pt.




After the Sculpture Garden we went to check out the Museum of Natural History. 


First we went to the Geology section where there was this picture of the earth that displayed all the earthquakes in size and location that have ever been recorded.  It was really suprising to see the midwest and other places have semi-regularly occuring earthquakes. 

Here was this deep black rock with huge chunks of garnet that came from a mine in NY.  I want this for my countertops or tile in my future house. 

This just looked cool.

Here is my Kristine with her amethyst.


Of course we had to see the Hope Diamond.  It looks cool, but honestly I don't understand why its worth millions.  Size and rarity don't really make it worth it to me. There was also a decent collection of jewelry.


We couldn't leave with out seeing the zebras.

The best part of the day was sitting on the bench in the Sculpture Garden.  We talked some, but mostly just absorbed the sunlight and snuggled.  We watched some really cute kids and listened to the securtity guard yell at all the people who were touching the silver tree sculpture I had just taken pictures with. There is something more to us when we are together.  We don't have to be or do anything. Just physically being next to each other somehow makes us more, or better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment