Friday, June 4, 2010

Hooch to Work, Work to Chowhall, Chowhall to Hooch, repeat.

Hooch = room, work = work, chowhall = food

Dave:  So here I am in Iraq.  This time feels very different than the last. Before there was a real fight that we were trying to win, but now the feeling is we are all just waiting to leave.  Much of the country is shutting down, packing up and moving out.

I on the other hand have just moved in.  I am working in an office.  I now proudly wear the biggest indicator to the fact that I don't really feel the need to go out on missions: the shoulder holster.  I turned in my rifle, so all I have is a pistol to lug around everywhere.

Here I am getting ready to go to chow.  The Army came out with great athletic clothing that was reflective so we could be seen at night. But it must not have worked well enough because we also must wear a highly reflective belt as well.

Kristine doesn't like my lack of hair, but it keeps me a little cooler, which in 120degree heat actually means a lot.

Here is my room for the next year.

Saddam during the 80s and 90s hosted a number of international meetings.  At the beginning he did have enough hotel space to fit all his guests, so he built a couple palaces near the airport.  Another meeting happened and he still didn't have enough space, so he built a huge complex of canals, palaces and lakes to impress all who came to visit.  The last palace Al Faw was completed in 2002. All of the area around the lakes and palaces was lush and well maintained. Little did he know that the US military would be the ones to appreciate his hard work.

Here is the view from right outside my office.


This one is on the walk back to the hooch



Here is one of my favorite things to do.  The waterways are full of fish, mainly carp, and they love to eat anything.  Once or twice a day I will go out with a little muffin or a box of cereal and give it to them.  They see me coming and swarm. Any direction I swing my arm, they race to in order to catch whatever food lands.

Its hot. Its lonely. Its tiring, but as long as I get a minute or two to talk to my dear wife, its not that bad.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like Hank's life over there, and that makes for a very long deployment. We love you, just stick with it (or just keep swimming as Parker would say). Do you need anything? Movies? Books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update dave. I on the other hand like your hair - but not as well as I like your belt. I am with ash though - you can do it! And what do you need? Would you want a kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last couple pictures look just like Arizona. By the way, who needs body armor when you have a belt like that. I couldn't look at the screen it was so bright.

    ReplyDelete